Products › IceBand®
by MD R. Ihrman Patent Pend.
IceBand® is a cooling and compression wrap that is specifically developed for the relief of pain and swelling after surgery or injury. The design of IceBand is based upon cryotherapy research to give optimal cooling and compression to post op patients.
IceBand® is ideal for cooling and compression therapy - two key elements of postoperative rehabilitation*
By using the PCE™ technology (Phase Changing Element), IceBand obtains an active cooling phase within the therapeutic interval for at least 60 minutes.* During the acute inflammatory phase, the first 72 hours, and during the reparative phase, 72 hours to 6 weeks after injury/surgery cooling has a positive effect (6).
Reduced rehabilitation time
- Sympathetic vasoconstriction of the capillaries
- Increased blood viscosity, coagulation and haemostasis.
- Locally reduced cellular metabolism, reducing the inflammatory reaction through a reduction of the release of metabolites.
- Iceband is effective immediately after surgery and as part of a recommended 6 to 8 weeks post op rehabilitation programme.
Enhanced pain relief
- The controlled cryotherapy raises the pain threshold allowing for the possible reduction of pain relief medication
Easy to use
- During rehabilitation Iceband can be applied by the patient and is safe and easy to use at home.
My experience of cold treatment is long and I have used every known method of cooling for nearly 25 years. Since the introduction of IceBand® I use it regularly in my business as orthopedic and sports physician and also for national and international sport events.
IceBand® cryotherapy trial at BMI, Birmingham UK.
Trial undertaken on 10 patients admitted for arthroscopic shoulder surgery. Consultants, theatre/recovery staff and nurse/health care assistants were instructed on how and when to utilise the IceBand®.
The patients used IceBand® at intervals of one hour on and one hour off until deemed fit for discharge. The patients then completed a post treatment questionnaire.
All cooling products should be handled with care and only be used in accordance with instructions from a physician. Should not be used if you suffer from cold allergy, Raynauds phenomenon or cryoglobulinaemia.
Questionnaire results were as follows:
- 95% of the patients responded in favour of the IceBand® being comfortable during cold therapy.
- 80% of the patients felt that the IceBand® assisted with pain relief (down to 1 on the pain score), while one of the patients reported no change in pain relief and the other was uncertain whether to credit any relief to the IceBand® itself or ongoing drug regimen.
- 100% of the patients deemed the IceBand® suitable for home use.