Products › Mattresses
Continual Lateral Rotation System Which Customises To Meet Individual Patient’s NeedsDesigned and manufactured in Ireland.
A normal healthy person remains free of complications associated with immobility by maintaining a minimum level of mobility day & night. (1)
Immobility can cause serious pulmonary complications such as Atelectasis, Pneumonia and ARDS. Immobility has a deleterious effect on all the body systems; the Pulmonary System, the Cardiovascular, the Musculoskeletal System, the Genitourinary System, the Gastrointestinal System, the Neurological System and the Skin.
OCCURRENCE OF ICU ACQUIRED PNEUMONIA
The incidence of Nosocomial Pneumonia in the ICU has been reported in several studies to be over 20%. (2)
The incidence of ventilated patients who develop Nosocomial Pneumonia is over 30%. (2)
INDICATIONS FOR PULMOFLO USE
- Patients assessed to be at risk of developing Pulmonary complications.
- Patients with Pulmonary complications.
- Patients assessed to be at risk of developing complications associated with immobility.
- Patients who would benefit from a pressure relieving surface with the additional benefits of pulsation and continuous rotation from side to side.
Incidence of Atelectasis in Critically ill Patients (3)
74% of patients with acute spinal cord injury
85% of patients with neuromuscular disease
Up to 90% of patients status post cardiac surgery
Up to 30% of patients status post abdominal surgery
The American Thoracic Society consensus statement on the diagnosis treatment and prevention of hospital acquired Pneumonia places Continual Lateral Rotation Therapy as a category two intervention of promising efficacy. (4)
CONTINUAL LATERAL ROTATION THERAPY
- Provides constant motion which simulates the body’s natural need for frequent position changes.
- Has been clinically proven in treating and preventing pulmonary complications associated with immobility.
- Improves pulmonary secretions.
- Reduces both incidence and severity of Pneumonia and Lower Respiratory Tract Infections.
- Resolves Atelectasis.
- Re-distributes Pulmonary Blood flow.
- Mobilises Pulmonary Interstitial Fluids.
- Improves ventilation and perfusing.
Reduces ICU acquired Pneumonia by 50%
Reduces ICU treatment costs by 24%
Reduces duration of mechanical ventilation by 35% (5)
- Micro Adjust Pressure Profiling - Provides 16 independent zones from head to foot.
- This makes it possible to effectively target wound areas while still promoting overall patient comfort. Pulmoflo has the lowest interface pressures on the market. (6)
- Facilitates Proning - Zones can be removed completely which can aid limb positioning, target pressure points and assist in preventing facial oedema.
- Automatic Fowler Boost - Redistributes pressure profile for the sitting patient.
- Patient Safety - Safety system protects and aligns patient during rotation.
- Frameless - Use existing bed frame, no storage problems.
- Theraderm™ Fitted Cover - Reduces shearing and friction. Permits vapour transmission whilst providing a barrier to germ migration.
- Auxiliary Tall Sac - To prevent foot drop and patient sliding, provides extra patient comfort. Is easily moved to any position to compensate for short patients or double amputees.
- Made in Ireland.
- One Touch Max Inflate - Facilitates nursing procedures.
- 45° side to side lateral rotation - Ensuring one lung is above the other.
- Turns the patient up to 200 times a day.
- X-Ray facility - Radiolucent material which enables the taking of X-Rays without moving the patient.
- Provides Pulsation Therapy - Increases lymphatic and capillary blood flow which helps to prevent and treat pressure ulcers.
- Multi-functional control unit - Soft-touch digital display.
- Provides Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation - response time of less than ten seconds.
- Patients with an unstable spinal cord
- Severe, uncontrolled Claustrophobia
- Severe, uncontrolled diarrhoea
- Patients requiring skeletal traction
Pulmoflo Control Unit
- Length: 22”
- Depth (from footboard): 7.5”
- Height (fully inflated): 11.5”
- Weight: 30lbs
- Electrical Rating: 240V, 50/60Hz, 3.0 Amp
- Electrical Leakage: <100 microamps
- Ground Resistance: <100 millohms
- Dimensions (fully inflated): 33” x 82” x 11”
- Weight: 24lbs
- (1) Keane, F.X: The Minimum Physiological Mobility Requirement for Man Supported on a Soft Surface. Paraplegia 16, (1978-79), Pgs 383 - 389.
- (2) Driks, N Eng J Med, 1987. Craig, Am J Infect Control, 1986. Langer et al, Int Care Med, 1987.
- (3) Raoof, Chowdhrey, Raoof, Feuerman, King, Sriraman, and Khan: Effect of Combined Kinetic Therapy and Percussion Therapy on the Resolution of Atelectasis in Critically Ill Patients. Chest, Jun 1999; 115: 1658 - 1666.
- (4) American Thoracic Society. Hospital-acquired pneumonia in adults: Diagnosis, Assessment of Severity, Initial Antimicrobial Therapy and Preventative Strategies. A Consensus Statement. Am J Respir 1995 153 1711 - 1725.
- (5) Choi, S.C., and Nelson. L.D.: Kinetic Therapy in Critically Ill Patients: Combined Results Based on Meta-Analysis. Journal of Critical Care, March 1992, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 57 - 62.
- (6) Weaver, Jester: A Clinical Tool: Updated readings on tissue interface pressures. Ostomy/Wound Management, The Journal for Extended Patient Care Management, Volume 40, No. 5, June 1994